People often forget that it’s not just their teeth that need attention during their daily oral hygiene routine; gums are also susceptible to decay and damage without proper care. In this blog post, we’ll help you understand how you can prevent gum disease, as well as introduce you to the services we offer here at Moores Chapel Dentistry to help you promote superb gum health.
About Gum Disease
Gum disease can have a variety of causes, but is often prompted by a buildup of bacteria-filled plaque in the mouth due to poor oral hygiene and a diet high in sugar. Gum disease starts as gum irritation and inflammation (called gingivitis), which is treatable and even reversible, but if left unchecked it can develop into periodontitis and then advanced periodontitis. As gum disease progresses, mild discomfort and inflammation advances into more severe effects such as pain, gum recession, infection, tooth loss, and bone loss. Gum disease is considered a common dental disease, but fortunately there are things you can do to reduce your risk.
Gum Disease Prevention Tips
- Since plaque is the leading cause of gum disease, fighting plaque with a diligent oral care routine is a key defense against it. Floss your teeth at least once a day and brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time to clean away plaque.
- Adding an electric toothbrush and an anti-plaque mouthwash into your dental hygiene regimen can also boost your plaque-fighting efforts.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially during and after meals.
- Avoid chewing sugary gum and mints. Opt for sugar-free gum and chew for at least 20 minutes after meals.
- Quit (or avoid) smoking and using other tobacco products!
- Consume a nutritious, balanced diet and limit your consumption of sugary and starchy foods. Also limit your consumption of sugary and acidic beverages, like soda, fruit juice, citrus-flavored sugary sparkling water, coffee, and alcohol.
- In addition to watching your dietary and lifestyle choices and keeping up with your at-home dental care, it’s important that you come see us for a dental cleaning and exam at least twice a year.
Periodontal Therapy at Moores Chapel Dentistry
But we offer more than just cleanings! We want to be your go-to resource when it comes to gum disease prevention and treatment. If you’re already dealing with early-stage gum disease or even advanced gum disease, we’ve got you covered. We offer deep cleanings that eliminate deep-set plaque and tartar that a routine cleaning can’t eradicate, with local anesthesia to numb any pain or discomfort. The procedure involves teeth scaling, which targets that pesky plaque and tartar, and root planing, a process that smooths the surface of the tooth so that the gum can reattach and properly heal.
We Can Help You Have Healthy Gums!
If you think you’re on the path to the serious and painful effects of gum disease, act now. Consult with our team here at Moores Chapel Dentistry. We’ll assess the condition of your gums and determine the right steps to restore your oral health. Contact us today!